Old February 1st 17, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default What Is Wrong With OLC?

On Wednesday, February 1, 2017 at 5:58:01 AM UTC-8, wrote:
Sometimes the arrogance shown on RAS is absolutely astounding. Over 14,000 pilots worldwide disagree with our self-appointed arbiter of "what is and is not soaring."

Agreed! It is shocking how so many of us these days in all sorts of media conflate our opinions and preferences into some absolute that is best and right for all. And equally shocking how opinions expressed by others have absolutely no affect on others perspectives. Rather, it's the opposite, the more opinions expressed the further people dig in. Considering a different perspective doesn't mean you have to change yours, jesus, go crazy give it a whirl... I once declared loudly to all in band class that Rush was the best band ever. I was 13. At some point since then I've realized that might not be true, and not that wise...

So, nothing that happens on OLC or in any race anywhere in the world has much if any affect on soaring for me so I'm not sure how either could wreck, or make great, soaring. I do like to use OLC, think there is some value to it for me (strangely the same pilots routinely log the longest and fastest flights out of the area they fly, how do they do it?), and I like following contests real time and otherwise.

OTOH, get ready to hold two thoughts in your head at once (hint, "OLC flying" (proof itself that you don't get it) and contest flying is good). I'd rather be shot in the gut than fly a contest on a great soaring day. But I totally get it and if I had all summer to fly would love to add contest flying to it all. I might even find that I like it more than "flying OLC contests", I don't f%#*^ing know. However, I get maybe 4 good soaring days in the glider each year, days that really interest me. I want to see how far I can go, in a single direction, a new area I haven't been before, a declared task for a state record, or following my buddies around. Or I might get "distracted by a great cloud or something" like Gleb.