Old April 26th 18, 04:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Tapered pins (again)

wrote on 4/25/2018 6:48 AM:
Yeah, I tried my broomstick, but the 27 pins are much bigger. ......got to be just under the pin diameter! On my ship I pull the wings together with the broom handle, then shove a tapered pin in the right side. After it's in, I raise or lower the fuselage with the jack as I feel the bushings come together with a finger in the hole. When she's perfect, pop goes the pin................usually!
:) JJ

First thing I do is get the right wing into position, and at very close to the
right angle. I have a bit of wood on the floor of left side spar opening in the
fuselage - when the right wing spar stub touches the wood, the wing is at the
correct angle.

Maybe I'm not using the broomstick the way you do. It's 2/3 the diameter of the
holes. After the left wing is in place, I put stick in half way into the pin
holes on one side, then pull towards the center line. That levers the wing halves
together; then, raise/lower the left wing tip to get the holes lined up (mostly),
insert the pin, then insert the pin on the other side.