Old December 10th 06, 06:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
J.McEachen

Default Landing speeds for naval aircraft?

A-3B CLEO was 49k max landing, 117kias
A-3B non-CLEO was 47k, 117kias

Later A-3B's with Cambered Leading Edge wing, noted by slats inboard of
the engines. After 1965 most A-3's were versions: tankers, ECM,
photo-recon, or the overweight EKA-3B (or ERA-3B?) which couldn't
operate from a carrier. But that was after my time (Forrestal was 5
years old, had a starboard side mirror, God's gift to the fleet with a
600psi steam plant, and the Whale was a strategic bomber.)
Joel McEachen VAH-5

Ian MacLure wrote:
fudog50 wrote in
:

Since the original question was about landing speeds, I assume you
mean traps?

Here is a topic for discussion.....

The E/F "Rhino" comes in fast and heavy. The gear on Nimitz class is
taking a heavy toll and is wearing out faster than the design was
intended.

The "Growler" will come in heavier and faster.

Can the current configuration of the arresting gear handle it and not
have catastrophic fatigue failure without major modification?

I would simply draw your attention to several designs that could
have been or were operated off Enterprise class & later carriers.
A3, F4, A5 & F111. All heavier (30-40+ tons) than the Rhino or Growler.

I think the rough aim point for approach speeds is something like
` 140Kts +/-.

IBM