Old December 10th 06, 01:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Default Landing speeds for naval aircraft?

WaltBJ wrote:
Only buzzed carriers, being an AF pilot, but our basic fence speed in
the F4D (Phantom, that is)was 122 KIAS plus 2 knots per 1000# over
empty/clean. But we could shave that speed 4 knots or so with a
slippery runway (Da Nang in the monsoon!) . FWIW with zero crosswind
you could plant a F104A, full flaps, at 135. If the F102 had had 8 foot
long gear legs we could have landed it at about 115; but with the
factory gear you'd drag a foot or so off the tailpipe. BTW hows come
only a couple responders mentioned airspeed, and one of them sounded
pretty high? Lots of reserve fuel in case of repeated bolters? Surely
y'all had a basic airspeed to add to in case of extra fuel, external
loads, etc. Or did you fly AOA and ignore IAS?
Walt BJ

AOA and making sure you weren't heavier than than max trap fuel..5.1 in
the later F-4s, 5.7 with tank 7 full in the earler F-4J...GIB made sure
the airspeed was 'proper' but 15 units AOA(?)...