Old January 10th 19, 10:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default How to Make a Poor Man's Spar Alignment Tool

Gotta agree with UH. I've owned my ASW 24 for 27 years and probably assembled it 800 or more times. I have a plastic rod (HDPE?) a little smaller diameter than the main pins (how's that for detailed specs?). About a foot long.. Not tapered, although it should be (add to my "to do" list for 2019, page 3).

Very useful to lever the wings together the last few mm (i.e., not the eccentric, "rotate to align the bores" type of tool). As an ex-Libelle 201 driver, I was predisposed towards the "over center" wrench approach anyway. And if I recall, the pins on my LS-3 had a longer taper, which helped do the same thing. Schleicher seems to take the attitude that "if you want to fly our gliders, you'll care enough to align everything perfectly." Doesn't always work for us Americans originally trained on Schweizer 1-26s with a toolbox full of drift pins and hammers.

True, all but a few percent of my rig/derig operations are solo. I probably wouldn't find the tool quite as useful if I used a helper. But it lives in the Schleicher main pin pouch so it's always available and frequently used..

Chip Bearden