Old January 7th 06, 12:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.military

Default TACAN

George Ruch wrote:

That's a fine reference. I saved a bookmark there. It looks as if the
UK TACAN is the same as the USAF TACAN, but I'm still not clear as to
the differences from a VOR. Maybe it's just the frequencies. Or, I
believe all TACANs are supposed to have DME built in.

I don't know much about how either works, other than TACAN transmits its
azimuth signal in the UHF band and DME is an intergal part of the TACAN
station. The DME portion of the TACAN is compatible with civil DME
avionics.

Many of the en route VORs in this country have VOR and TACAN at the same
site. The civil users's airborne DME equipment use the DME portion of
the TACAN station. The official name of one of these sites is VORTAC.