Old July 6th 18, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Top Hat Question (XCSoar?)

I will argue with that. SYM is a huge step back from either XCSoar or TopHat…

Based on my and other reported experiences, I think the best system is whatever you are comfortable with and is reliable. I've seen problems reported with a variety of hardware and software. I'm in the IT business and it's amazing to me that this stuff works as well as it does given the low volumes, whether it's commercial products like ClearNav or freeware such as Top Hat/XCSoar.

I've been flying with Top Hat for several years. Rob Dunning has responded multiple times with fixes and responses to requests. I think I know where the remaining bugs are (none of these applications is perfect) and have confidence that it's giving me what I need. Functionally, it does nearly everything I want it to do and I have workarounds for the gaps. I'm just trying to close some of those gaps.

I'm sure SYM and the Oudie are fine but I've played with both and am not tempted to enter another "relationship" now.

Chip Bearden