Old September 25th 05, 04:07 PM
Drew Dalgleish

Hi Mike
It may be an issue with the 6061 skins cuz I found the same problem
when I was building my rebel. I used the cheap dimpler that has a nail
through the centre or the same dies that I welded to a pair of vice
grips. Drilling 3/32" then dimpling then opening up the holes to #30
worked for me.

I am using cleco brand and, yes, I am using the copper ones. The dimple
dies are the "springback" ones from US Tool. The skins are 6061 if that
makes a difference.

Mike
MU-2

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
k.net...
When I dimple holes in thin sheet they get larger to the point where the
clecos won't hold. Should I drill holes that are to be dimpled for 1/8
rivets a little smaller (like #31 or #32)? What are others doing?

Mike
Murphy Moose.

Never had that problem and I did a bunch of drilling and dimpling on the
RV-6. Are you drilling #30 to start with and using quality dimple dies? I
hate to ask, but are you using the copper colored clecos, or have you
accidentally dipped into the silver ones?

Another option is that your cleco's are worn out. Any chance of that?

KB