Old April 28th 04, 09:04 PM
ShawnD2112

Here's my opinion, for what it's worth.
Let's start with the tailwheel thing. Absolutely learn to fly one. In my
opinion, every pilot should start learning in a tailwheel airplane without
an electrical system and at a grass strip. That's real stick and rudder
flying and that's where you really learn how to maneuver an airplane. The
rest is just junk added on. If you don't take the time to master a
taildragger, nearly all worthwhile aerobatic aircraft will be forever out of
your reach. Not only will it teach you excellent flying skills, taildragger
flying is a hell of a lot of fun, usually involves interesting airplanes,
and gives you an immense sense of satisfaction. It may be more expensive
but you'll never regret the skills, the experience, or the horizons it opens
up for you. I've been flying tailwheel airplanes for over 5 years now and
haven't been in anything with a nosewheel since.

As for the types you mentioned, I'm by no means an expert on the Citabria or
the Zlin. I do know that the Zlin was a top of the line aerobatic
competition aircraft in it's day and still has a good reputation as a
performance machine. Both it and the Citabria were designed for aerobatics
specifically. The C152 wasn't. It's a basic trainer with some mods (and
don't ask me what they are) to increase it's load capability. I wouldn't
waste my time with a 152. There are others that disagree, saying "if you
can aerobat and Aerobat, you can aerobat anything", and they may be right,
but I never bothered. It's roll rate is pedestrian in the extreme, it can
perform vertically for about it's own length, and it's a right bugger to
spin and keep spinning. I think you'd quickly find the aerobat either
limiting or frustrating.

My own progression was 125 hours in 152s, including PPL training
10 hours Tailwheel training in a SuperDecathalon (loads of fun, first loop
and roll, too!)
150 hours in Cubs and Taylorcraft (which is where I really learned to fly)
75 hours in a Pitts S-1D

With that much tailwheel time (most of it spent maneuvering in all
conditions in the pattern), transition to the Pitts was a piece of cake.
That's when I started my aerobatic training, took a few lessons from
international competition pilots, asked a lot of questions of experts,
climbed to 5,000 feet and tried a few things out. Haven't scared myself yet
(except once in the 152 as a student!), but I know my limits and I stay very
far away from them.

As always, your mileage may vary, but that's my advice. Of course, the
quality of the instruction that comes with each of these airplanes you
mentioned will be a major factor as well. Good luck and let us know how you
get on!

Shawn

"Anthony Hewitt." wrote in message
Good afternoon all.

Im seriously contemplating beginning an aerobatics endorsement.

I have been flying for 2 years and want to "add".

I have done plenty of research and have narrowed it down to a number of
aeroplanes:

The Zlin (sp?)
The Citabria
The Cessna aerobat.

I know the Decathlon and Zlin are faster and more manueverable but they

are
also significantly more expensive for lessons (and I dont like the idea of
learning to fly a tailwheel unless its essential).

Question is, does the Cessna provide enough enjoyment ( I know it loops,
but...) or is it really a Clayton's aerobatics aircraft. Basically, will I
have enough fun in it to get by? Im interested in those whove flown some

of
these and what their thoughts were.

Thanks and regards,
AH.