Old March 3rd 09, 01:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
origgiro

Default SMO MYF

Cool, thanks! In terms of VFR/IFR, how does it work with

On Mar 2, 11:30*am, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:
On Mar 1, 5:38*pm, origgiro wrote:

I was thinking of buying a plane to fly regularly between SMO (Santa
Monica) and MYF (Montgomery Airport, near San Diego), for instance a
Diamond DA20-A1, which can go about 104 knots. However, the flight
path includes both Pendleton and LAX (perhaps others), which
presumably could cause delays. Would anybody be able to tell me
roughly how long I could expect that to take, say from the time I get
out of my car at MYF to the time I'm in my car at SMO, and how they
came to those numbers?

Thanks!

Expect to be IFR routed East well beyond LAX before going South
(expect a long flight). VFR is pretty easy but you can expect a lot of
IFR marine layer days. For VFR you enter a climbing turn from SMO to
enter the VFR cordor and head right down the coast (easy stuff).

-Robert

Thanks, Robert. As a follow-up question -- it seems like if possible I
would want to fly VFR as much as possible. Is the VFR limited to day-
time use? What times of day are bad for marine layer activity? And if
I wake up to a marine layer day; how do I transition to an IFR flight
plan? And how many miles out of the way is the IFR detour?

Thanks again!