Old February 12th 04, 07:18 AM
Michael Petukhov

Peter Kemp wrote in message . ..

Any comments or thoughts from those who know a bit about builing an
Air arm from scratch?

Oh, and I'd particularly be interested to hear what Mr. "no one has
ever gone to the moon" Petukhov thinks :-)

Well if you really want to know my opinion I can tell you that
I think the situation in VVS is rather difficult indeed but it would be
untrue to say that VVS must be build from scratch. Pilot training
is indeed the major problem while main part of planes even if
not upgraded are OK more or less for the moment. At least as long
we are not at wor with US.

Strong words of the generals cited (certainly if it is true words)
need very serious attention. the words that "pilots (I guess Baltic
fleet pilots) make no more than one flight in a year - and then only
to qualify for the pilot's food ration and a meritorious service record."
sounds very strange to me. Can you believe that Commander of
that "pilots" who is responsible for the proper training could
say that publicly? I cannot. I know that many journalists often
invent the facts for their stories. remmeber recent scandals
in US press (NY times for instance etc.) Why it cannot happend in
that journal as well? Just because it is highly respectful?
NY Times is also highly respectful.

Also as far as I know there is minimum level of per year flying
experience (around 20h) in order one can be allowed to fly
independently. There was times in 98 when VVS pilots ON AVERAGE
were at that minimal level. Since than they fly 40h on average.
Which is not enough, but still 40h.

I do not know why Baltic fleet pilots could fly only 5h if everybody
else have 40h. There were reports in local TV about increased flying
activity of Baltic fleet aviation and that unlike 35-40 years old
pilots many young pilots had indeed no flying experience to be
qualified for a fighter pilot. And therefore VVS started wide program
to retrain the young pilots indeed almost from scratch.

As for aging pilots, well whatt is age statistics for US pilots, and
its normal retirement age? just to compare with.

Michael

Peter Kemp