Old September 17th 03, 06:30 AM
Eric Greenwell

In article ,
says...
On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 21:05:48 +0000, Ivan Kahn wrote:

This began as a suggestion only to call ATC to find out if, and when, they
suppress in your are before spending the money. There are other things,
such as TCAS, which may well be reason enough to purchase a transponder.

Actually I started this thread to find out what others are using before
paying out a small fortune for a transponder.

I fly from Worcester near Cape Town in South Africa. Without a transponder
we are limited to below FL085. With a transponder we can get cleared
to FL120 on most days and FL200 or higher with a co-operative controller.

If I do buy one, the idea is to get a diamond height without taking a long
and very expensive holiday! Wave flying from Worcester is really awsome it
would be a pity to go somewhere else to fly the diamond. Have a look at
our club's homepage for a sample pic,
http://www.cgc.org.za/

FL085? Gulp! It sounds like a transponder would be worth the effort
and expense. I'm using the Becker ATC 4401 (175 watt version). At the
time I bought mine, neither it nor the Microair had been out long, so
I decided the Becker was a lesser risk and not much more costly.
--
!Replace DECIMAL.POINT in my e-mail address with just a . to reply
directly

Eric Greenwell
Richland, WA (USA)