Old February 4th 06, 11:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Can all HSI's be slaved -- should they be?

"John Clonts" wrote in message

wrote in message

Zoom in if you want to be EXACT.

No... you got it right there. Moving map helps you visualize on the
*big*
scale... at least the way I've seen it. If you zoom in to where it's
accurate enough
to nail a hold/airway/loc, it's not a moving map anymore. It's now an
indicator. You
can also put additional indications on as an indicator and have both. In
any event,
that's what I initially meant by "augmentation."

: I'm sorry, I guess I miss your point!

Don't get me wrong. A properly done moving map+indicator display can be
much more intuitive and have lots more information than a simple VOR
needle. If done
improperly (like the way I've seen lots of my VFR friends with handheld
spiffy-do
moving map GPSs), it leads to sloppy, lazy, and overconfident navigating.

Understand and agree, thanks!

John

And keep aware of your position by other means also. We had a Cessna 172
bust the TFR here at Waco yesterday, the GPS signal was being interrupted
and the pilot got "lost". GPS signal is intermittent here again today.

Allen