Old April 26th 04, 10:21 PM
SteveM8597

Someone ought to tell the military survival school instructors, then,
because
they are teaching people the wrong stuff.

How so? Don't they teach both?

One teachs escape and evasion the other teaches living off the land long enough
to get picked up, ie first aid, finding making shelter, finding food and water,
comunicating and signalling, and orienteering. There isn't much emphasis on
being the great white meat hunter, mostly just acknowledgement that you can do
things like snare or trap. The SERE training is how to keep from being caught
and if caught, how to conduct yourself and survive. I don't remember any
mention of the use of firearms in the four I went through, land, water, jungle,
and arctic.

I also was an avid backpacker and put survival on my trips in the Sierra,
Bitterroots, and Wind River in somewhat of a different category relative to
techniques and objectives..

Steve