Old April 26th 04, 10:31 PM
SteveM8597

USAFland survival school consisted of 1 - 2 weeks in evasion, resistance, and
escape training, and a week total on wilderness survival techniques. The week
was spent in class and on a four day camp/trek experience The trek included
evading the "enemy" and spending time with . If you got captured, you
supposedly went back the the beginning of the trek and started over. The trek
was rigorous enough that people died from time to time. The "campout" was
mostly shelter building, familiarization with edible vegetation, and butchering
and cooking a white domestic bunny in the event you were able to trap or snare
some meat. The emphasis was on non firearm use because even if you had
firearms, you'r eventually run out of ammo.

The jungle and arctic schools also spent some time on edible veggies and
shelter. In my mind, the majority of time was focused on not getting caught
or lost, and conduct it you were caught, not living off the land.

Steve

WILDERNESS survival in peacetime is different from survival behind
enemy lines in time of war.

Someone ought to tell the military survival school instructors, then,

because
they are teaching people the wrong stuff.

How so? Don't they teach both?

I'm sure that they must...I've had numerous military 'survival
school' courses, Arctic, Winter-bush, Summer, Summer-bush,
Sea-survival. None of them even mentioned the Enemy (other than
panic is your enemy)
--

-Gord.