Old March 5th 20, 02:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Mini-Winch for FES

Have you ever seen an FES propeller extended?Â* There's no way I'd
attempt a launch either by air, auto, or winch with that prop spinning!Â*
Now, a catapult launch might just work and it might just rip the landing
gear off the ship.

I wonder if Mark would post that video of the solar electric prototype
glider model catapult test launch.Â* Hint:Â* The fuselage flew a short
distance but the wings remained at the takeoff point.

On 3/4/2020 11:22 PM, son_of_flubber wrote:
I'd rather take my chances on something that would accelerate the glider 0-50 knots in 50 meters with the FES running from the very start of the roll. This would increase available runway ahead for launch failure and conserve a bit of battery power. Fully automated with pilot pushing the go button.

How much runway do you need to self-launch a heavy two place FES when there is sink and windshear present?

--
Dan, 5J