Old June 5th 08, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Default Perfect loop

Viperdoc wrote:
However, it's important to remember that the technique needs to vary with
the plane and amount of energy going into the loop. From the front in the
Decathlon/Citabria, after the initial pull, the back of the lift strut
should carve a small circle around the horizon. It is pretty easy to get a
sense if the loop is pinched at the top. Unfortunately, without a sight
gauge it is somewhat harder (in my opinion) to get a sense of flying over
the top and knowing when to ease up on the pull.

In the Extra, on the other hand, it generally takes around a 6.5-7G pull to
get a good looking loop, since entry speed is generally around 160-180k, and
the pull needs to be harder to get the loop at around the same size. Pulling
only 3-4g will get a giant loop, but doesn't present well. Because of the
greater energy going into the loop in an Extra or equivalent plane, there is
less need to ease off and float over the top.

If you really want a challenge in energy management, try flying a loop with
an entry speed of around 100 or even 80k. It is a great drill in learning
how to manage your energy for any given situation.

The best way to accurately assess your loop is to get a ground critique,
which is also true of any other figure. Without this, you could do the same
figure over and over but have it wrong and never know. (at least this was my
excuse during competitions).

Flying acro is a great flying experience and confidence builder- it will
never get boring and will always present new challenges. Just be sure to get
good spin recognition and recovery training (for both upright and inverted
spins). In this vein, I think most instructors are not a big fan of the
Beggs-Mueller method of 1. power off, 2. let go of the stick, and 3. rudder
opposite the yaw (not direction of spin).

This is the topic for a whole thread in itself.

Best of luck and have fun!

Respectfully as I know you own and fly an Extra :-)

1. Sensing a loop profile through the float is not especially hard to
accomplish without a sight gauge.

2. 6.5 to 7.0 g's even in the Extra is an extremely aggressive loop
entry and totally unnecessary for any pilot flying normal aerobatics.
A 170 entry speed using 4g's will get you a nice even looking loop in a
Pitts S1S, and this is for demonstration.
But what you said is interesting. Patty Wagstaff is a friend and flies
her Extra in extremely aggressive displays; in fact, some of the best
and most aggressive flying I've ever seen. I'll email her tonight and
ask her what she uses for loop entry in her displays. I'll be surprised
if she uses 6.5 to 7 but I could be wrong. She's EXTREMELY aggressive
acrobatically.

--
Dudley Henriques