Old January 29th 06, 09:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Strange loss

"Denny" wrote:

The bird had gone in hard...
The engine was essential ripped off and the cabin area crushed... The
only metal on the bird not bent or crushed was the spring landing
gear...

The only facts we have is that there was a crosswind, brisk but not
extreme... Mike had landed there many times in the past... The initial
report is listed for the 23rd Jan...
It was a real punch in the gut when I was told...

That's tough, Denny.

This kind of accident is what makes me question my flying habit in my
darker moments. Just about every time you hear friends and family
interviewed, they describe the deceased as "a cautious pilot...very
particular about his airplane," etc. That's how every pilot that
contributes to this newsgroup thinks of him- or herself, I'm sure.

In the 9+ years I've been flying, three pilots of my acquaintance have
died in flying accidents. One was VFR into IMC, one was an attempted
return to the runway after engine failure, and one was a stall/spin for
no apparent reason. All three were regarded as good pilots by their
friends.

In my whole life--59 years--only two people I've known directly have
died in car crashes. We should always remember how unforgiving flying
is of any carelessness.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM