Old August 8th 06, 08:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
palombian

Default Alternative to IPAQ PDA's

no PDA is perfect for all use

buy a second hand IPAQ 3850 or 3950 on eBay for your glider

and the latest fancy mobile for yourself

JW

"marc_dg400" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,

since I was robbed of my ipaq 3970 running winpilot,
i am looking for an alternative. 2nd hand ipaq's can be found but are
relatively expensive compared with modern alternatives .(which have
wifi , GPS etc..)

I have been looking at the asus 636 and the mio P550 . Both have build
in GPS , which can be usefull when the electrics of the glider die.
The have no serial port however . Only HP still features serial ports
to connect to , for example , your LX5000.
The serial port can be usefull to download the flight log , connect to
LX5000 for winpilot pro etc.

However , serial ports are dissapearing slowly.

The battery of the asus seems to be very good , however , an external
12V will propably be needed.

Any experience around concerning
-stability
-GPS antenna reception