Old July 6th 05, 01:46 AM
Vaughn

"BTIZ" wrote in message
news:%4Fye.47795$go.24460@fed1read05...
Ideally, a glider student would start before age 14 (solo at 14) and then
transition to power some where along the line (solo power at 16) glider rating
at 16..

I have seen several kids take this track (including my daughter) and it
works well...for kids.

If you are older

Then you have to remember that negative transfer is a real issue. There
are many things that are drastically different between glider and power and it
might be best to learn one at a time. I am a GFIG who finally transitioned to
airplanes in his late 50's. Some of my lessons were uglier than I would like to
admit. On my checkride, I amused my designee (not) with a beautiful approach
stall recovery...power off!

Vaughn