Old November 18th 05, 01:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Yesterday's IFR flight with questions

Doug wrote:

Was there an airmet for icing? I use this as a guide. If there is an
airmet for icing, and I will be in IMC, I don't go. The airmets are a
good guide. That and PIREPS.

Where do you fly? You've probably heard this before, but in the Northeast
US there seems to be a permanent AIRMET for icing over the region from
November to April. If the presence of an AIRMET ZULU alone were used,
many instrument pilots would lose their currency every winter.

MEAs, ADDS icing forecasts, tops forecast or reports, temperatures aloft,
location of the low pressure in relation to my route, and icing PIREPS are
the criteria I use when weighing the icing risk.

--
Peter