Old November 18th 05, 06:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Yesterday's IFR flight with questions

In article . com,
wrote:

A Lieberman wrote:

I think with my plane being white, and nothing "reflective" to see the ice
like it was in the sun, it was harder to spot? It was on the temperature
probe that I clearly saw the white rime ice. I had looked on the wings for
the ice and didn't see it.

This is an important point. I think one of the online "learn about
icing" courses advises you to take a small strip of some black tape and
wrap it around the leading edge of the wing or the strut---by looking
at the tape you can see more easily if things have started to ice up.

That might not work. A piece of black tape can be significantly warmer
than a surrounding white surface because it will absorb solar radiation,
even in clouds in winter. So the tape might well be clear of ice even
as it is collecting on the white parts of the plane.

(You can actually do this experiment with two pieces of paper, one
white, one black. Put them outside on a cold, cloudy day for ten or
fifteen minutes. You may not even need thermometers -- if the clouds
aren't too thick you'll be able to feel the difference with your bare
hands.)

rg