Old September 26th 03, 03:23 AM
Ron Wanttaja

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 09:32:57 -0500, Wallace Berry
wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I can probably find the correct certified starter
for my C-85 used. However, I may very well look into trying to match up
an auto starter. My C-85 is actually not a "certified" engine anymore as
it has high compression pistons and a high performance cam. It is on my
Stits SA6b which is obviously a plans built aircraft. For now I'm using
the "Hemingway" starter.

I think you'll have trouble with the generator, and very possibly the
starter as well. Since the units are gear-driven, the cases have to have
the appropriate hardware for mounting to the aircraft engine. If you've
got a pull-start C-85, I suspect your chances of finding an automotive
replacement are even lower.

But if you do, pullleeeze let me know. The units on my C-85 aren't of the
best of shape, and I'd love to pick up something automotive that'll work.

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 12:40:55 -0500, Big John wrote:

]] Owned a shop where we wholesale repaired auto starters and generators
]] some years ago. Used to get a number or pilots bringing in their
]] starter for repair. Word of mouth got around.

When I took my C-85's generator to the local auto electric rebuilder, the
shop guy took a look at it and said, "DON'T tell me what that came off of."
His management didn't allow him to work on aviation units. I told him it
was from an "Off Road Vehicle" and he was satisfied.

One bit of warning, the auto and aviation regulators look very similar, but
apparently don't work the same. The aviation regulator has the three
terminals unevenly spaced, rather than evenly spaced like the automotive
units. When my airplane wouldn't charge, I replaced my regulator with an
automotive one before going through the work to remove the generator. I
eventually had the generator rebuilt, but when I put it on the airplane, I
still didn't get a charge until I restored the original aircraft regulator.

Ron Wanttaja