Old January 21st 20, 06:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Questions/Comments about OGN

John, you know me. I'm slow on the uptake but I make up for it with a bit of open mindedness. What is the purpose of this thing? It sounds like a half step between ADS-B and Flarm.
When I started flying gliders nobody even had a radio. Sometime after radios and GPS if you didn't have a transponder you were a public menace out to give gliders a bad name WHEN you inevitably blunder into a 747 full of nuns on their way to build an orphanage. Then Flarm, even though it already looked outdated at the onset in the shadow of ADS-B was made mandatory for contests and anybody who wanted to feel safer at the home field. This just seems like "one more thing to do". Given that none of it is a %100 magic pill, just how fine do we want to slice this thing? I really don't care what the glider 50 miles away is doing,so what's this for? Sell me on it.