Old July 13th 04, 02:48 PM

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 15:46:25 GMT, "Dudley Henriques"
wrote:

To put it bluntly, I can't remember a situation where I have checked out
a new pilot coming out of an accelerated course for Private Pilots where
the performance level was such that I felt no remedial work was
required....not ONE case!!!!

But you've checked out students who were taught in the traditional
method who required absolutely no remedial work what so ever? Not
even a little bit?

My take? I think accelerated courses may work for some people. My
wife is a teacher of learning disabled kids. She's studied teaching
methods and learning diabilities for much of her long teaching career.
Learning is a very complicated subject and one of the big difficulties
with teaching is that kids (and adults) learn at different rates.
Some pickup information almost instantly and retain it like they have
computers for brains. Others have to read and re-read or have it read
to them and then have it explained again and still don't get it. If
you try to teach everyone with one same method, the quick learners are
bored to distraction and the slow learners don't get it.

I think it's possible that those who learn fast and retain information
well could benefit from accelerated courses like you mention. Of
course, understanding something and translating that to coordinated
movement is different.

So practicing is important and the more you practice the better you
get. It would follow that a LOT of practice is better than a little
practice. Who does not benefit from practicing landings over and over
again? Most eventually get it, but not without practice, and
continued practice is what keeps the skill level high.

So I'm inclined to think that there's something to these accelerated
courses. They aren't for everyone of course, but they'd work for fast
learners I think.

Corky Scott