Old March 3rd 05, 12:14 PM

Actually, we are talking about not one type, but two - because we can
say about a great degree of commonality between F/A-18A+ and C, or
between F/A-18E, F/A-18F and (future) EA-18G. That is why every "older"
CV (I mean: except CVN-75 and CVN-76) which is gonna to deploy with
F/A-18E or F (or both), has to undergo some modifications first.

CVW-9 in 2003 - with four F/A-18C squadrons (VFA-22, VFA-146, VFA-147,
plus VMFA-314) - yes, that was commonality indeed, but capabilities
(combat radius, on-station time, cycles lenght etc) must have suffered.

Surely, putting Rhinos on carriers should be a progress when compared
to MMH-eating F-14 and A-6s. But there will be a time some day when now
brand-new F/A-18E/Fs also get older, and IF consider them "stealth"
aircraft, they may require more maintenance to be kept as radar-clean
as possible after being exposed to AAA/SAM fire and/or harsh weather
conditions?...

Regards,

Jacek