Old June 25th 06, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Lowrance 2000c 1.7 update

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 10:48:57 +0200, Thomas Borchert wrote:

Greg,

I can't recommend this GPS enough. In my
opinion, it's the best bang for the buck in aviation GPS.

Did you get the terrain update? It adds a whole new dimension to the unit.

Terrain update? I have the original terrain data, which I bought on a 1GB
card. You're saying the data has been updated? Where might I obtain the
update? Or did I misundertstand you?

Aside from the 1.6 disaster, I only have one minor nit with my 2000c,
which is it does not provide altitude information with its trail data. I
have requested this of Lowrance.

I have, too. It's really too bad since projecting flights on Google Earth
makes reliving those flights a wonderful experience.

Ya, when high density memory cards were expensive, I can understand why
they might want to save space by providing only 2-axises worth of data per
sample. But these days even 2GB cards, which they now support, are
reasonably priced. There is no reason why they can't provide the z-data
too. Assuming the design of the software is descent, the required change
for this is probably 30-minutes or less, including compile time...plus
testing. Ya, that's a big assumption on my part, but we're not talking
about stellar changes.

The only other biggy is that they would have an incompatible file format
with the software they provide. They could address that by allowing for
a menu toggle option; providing for backward compatibility. Just the
same, I believe *everyone* that actually uses trail data in an avaition
GPS expects the data to contain three data points (x,y,z) per sample. I
could understand if this was a GPS for use in a car...or a boat...an
earthbound vehicle, but 2d data for a device specifically designed for
vehicles which travel in 3d space...is just completely back-assward.

Cheers,

Greg