Old May 12th 08, 02:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Shirl

Default I give up, after many, many years!

Shirl:
That's a little extreme, IMO ... I don't think a person should have to
use their real name to be taken seriously. Some people aren't
comfortable using their real names, and in many instances, with just
cause. I think it's more important how people conduct themselves than
whether or not they use their real names ... but ... to each, his own.

Andrew Sarangan wrote:
You do have a point because legitimate posts also come from anonymous
posters. But if you browse the topics, nearly all inflammatory posts
come from people whose names are fake, and people with real names have
rarely made such posts, although there are exceptions.

I agree with that.

Anonymity is
critical in some newsgroups, such as abuse, drugs etc.. In aviation
there might be an occasional need for anonymity, to discuss accidents
or similar things. But for just plain shooting the breeze, as we often
do in this group, I don't see anonymity as a basic requirement.

I don't see either as a "requirement", I just don't judge anyone's
credibility *or lack of credibility* solely on whether or not they use
their real name to post ,,, whether it's to shoot the breeze or to
discuss something substantial. But again, that's JMO.