Old March 20th 04, 09:27 PM
Peter Stickney

In article ,
Henry J Cobb writes:
With a stealthy fighter you could make an attack on another aircraft
without alerting them, except for the IR signature of the missile's
rocket or ramjet engine.

Humph! Most small AAMs have a diameter of 5" (12.7 cm). and the
bigger ones have a diameter of between 8' (20.3cm) and 12" (30.5 cm).
Without any sort of stealthing, you're talking about a mighty small
target for any sort of sensor, from radar to the Mk I Eyeball.
Tiy get more of a return from the exhaust plume of the rocket motor,
and from the plume of the pyrotechnic Gas Generator used to power teh
hydraulics & such.
The IR signature starts out by being dominated by hte engine exhaust,
but by the tiem the motor burns out, and the coast phace begins, the
host parts are the nose and leading edges. No way to get around that.

I don't think stealthy missile airframes are high on anybody's
priority list.

Passive sensors, such as IR homers, are the best bet to keep a missile
undetected.

Is anybody planning a stealth AAM that uses a turbojet?

Nobody rational. You don't get the thrust you nees at high mach
numbers for a missile from a turbojet.

--
Pete Stickney
bad measures. -- Daniel Webster