Old September 19th 16, 08:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey[_2_]

Default Who is oldest glider pilot

Just saw this on the news. Oldest power pilot.

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (KCRG) -- It's a classic saying: There are old pilots and bold pilots, but there are no "old, bold pilots."

Last week, the Guinness Book of World Records named 98-year-old Ernie Smith, of Red Oak, Iowa, the oldest active pilot in the world.

"(They said) you need to come out here. I got something important to talk about. So I stepped in the door and, 'I know what, they found somebody older,' and he said there is nobody older," Smith said.

Back in January, the Red Oak airport manager and some of his friends nominated Smith for the title.

In April, witnesses watched Smith fly the airplane solo, recorded his effort on video, all to document that he is still an active pilot.

Smith beat the previous record by five years. He says he plans to keep flying a rented plane a couple of times each week, weather permitting.

http://www.witn.com/content/news?article=393908181