Old May 3rd 16, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

Default Microsoft Surface 4 as Laptop Replacement for Soaring Pilots?

As an IT professional with 20 years of experience, I understand the comment about swimming in devices! I have owned a surface Pro 3 for A couple of years now. It has totally replaced my other devices, both Mac and PC - except for gaming. The surface Pro 4 is even better. I am currently working to deploy as the standard device for my entire 300+ person company. Only downside to the surface is the limits on the battery. If you are just opening and closing it to do basic web browsing off and on, or periodic emails, then the battery can last most of the day. However, at full screen brightness and multiple office applications open (or watching full screen video), you'll only get ~3 hours of battery. But the form-factor is great, the keyboard is good, and the pen is very handy (your fingers work fine on the touchscreen; but many Windows programs are not designed for touch and therefore have small icons or buttons that are easier to hit with the stylus).

Hope this info helps!

--Noel