Old January 19th 20, 07:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Lowest power tow

On Sunday, January 19, 2020 at 12:30:51 AM UTC-5, wrote:
What's the lowest power tow plane you've ever seen or towed by? An Examiner of mine said his was a C150 with 100hp. I also once saw paperwork for an 85hp Luscombe to tow.

I once took a tow in my HP-14 behind a Citabria or Luscombe. I don't know the horsepower - that plane had a tow hook mostly for use towing banners. It was a wild windy wave day and the tow seemed to take forever as I was using full-control-deflections in all directions in the turbulence. After release at 4000 AGL or so I hit consistent sink and beat the towplane back to the airport.