Old September 19th 04, 11:45 AM
John Carrier

SNIP

Also, why wasn't Kimmel running patrols? He didn't have resources to
cover 360 degrees, but he certainly could have covered the NW quadrant
for a couple of hundred miles. Washington had been bombing him with
warnings for weeks. Geez. Couldn't he have just read the newspapers?

Nobody dreamed Pearl would have been the target.

Nonsense. Ever hear of Billy Mitchell? What kind of military mind
would assume that his major base would not be a target?

We all venerate Billy Mitchell now, he was considered a loose cannon back
when. A more appropriate example was the successful (training) raid on
Pearl by USN carrier forces in the mid-30's. I correct my statement.
Nobody in a position to influence the decision process in December 1941
dreamed Pearl would be the target.

R / John