Old May 28th 21, 09:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
LoftusRoadLad

Default Newby questions about the GLASFLUGEL H 201 STANDARD LIBELLE

New to gliding (won't say "soaring" since I haven't been accused of doing much of that) and was interested in buying a forgiving starter glider. I've flown the 1-26 extensively but would like a bit more performance--feel like I'm stuck at the field.
I've seen the 201 on Wings and Wheels. I've read a couple of online items on the Libelle and they seem to be fairly glowing--not bad anyway. However, they are all, naturally, pretty old and with them being early glass birds I was wondering if I should be concerned about that--maintaining condition, repairs, upkeep etc. Also, the airbrakes from what I can tell aren't great at spoiling lift--I'd like some views on that. I looked on the NTSB database for Libelle accidents and quite a few of the accidents were regarding landing out and not being able to lose altitude quickly enough--though I understand it slips well, or not having much braking once on the deck.
I also read that although it is supposed to be easy (a gem) to assemble/disassemble, there might be an historical issue with a pin that could have dire consequences.
Finally, although just about every thing I've read is encouraging, there are quite a few for sale on W&W. I was wondering about that too--but there's a few 1-26s as well, so...

RS JD