Old May 28th 21, 11:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default Newby questions about the GLASFLUGEL H 201 STANDARD LIBELLE

On Friday, May 28, 2021 at 2:45:40 AM UTC-6, LoftusRoadLad wrote:
New to gliding (won't say "soaring" since I haven't been accused of doing much of that) and was interested in buying a forgiving starter glider. I've flown the 1-26 extensively but would like a bit more performance--feel like I'm stuck at the field.
I've seen the 201 on Wings and Wheels. I've read a couple of online items on the Libelle and they seem to be fairly glowing--not bad anyway. However, they are all, naturally, pretty old and with them being early glass birds I was wondering if I should be concerned about that--maintaining condition, repairs, upkeep etc. Also, the airbrakes from what I can tell aren't great at spoiling lift--I'd like some views on that. I looked on the NTSB database for Libelle accidents and quite a few of the accidents were regarding landing out and not being able to lose altitude quickly enough--though I understand it slips well, or not having much braking once on the deck.
I also read that although it is supposed to be easy (a gem) to assemble/disassemble, there might be an historical issue with a pin that could have dire consequences.
Finally, although just about every thing I've read is encouraging, there are quite a few for sale on W&W. I was wondering about that too--but there's a few 1-26s as well, so...

RS JD

Others have made most of the salient comments. Several of the early generation glass ships were 'over built' and the structure will endure for many years. The metal bits may need replacement and some of the Libelles have needed joystick replacements due to cracking near the base. Spigot pins might also need attention. But good support remains, so not a huge issue. Tight at the shoulders, so try on with a jacket if you will fly in a cooler climate and winter. Beautiful glider.

Frank