Old January 14th 05, 10:20 AM
jokoch

Default 4 x Invincible class or 1 x Nimitz class

I just have a thought of the above subject. Say you're the planner
for an RN size navy, which one would you prefer, 4 x small CVBG or 1 x
BIG CVBG? Say it's all for offensive purpose and not for homeland
defence.
I think it equates well in terms of tonnage and man power, but how
about power projection and air power domination? Say I have 4 of the
below group.

1 x Invincible (~20000 tonnes, ~1200 crew, 24 aircraft)
1 x Air defence destroyer (Type 45, or 2 x type 22?, 4-5000 tonnes
range)
1 x GP destroyer/frigate (type 22)
1 x Anti Sub frigate (type 23)
1 x SSK (Colins, Kilo, 209?)
1 x Oiler, supply etc etc..

Against

1 x Nimitz (~90000 tonnes, ~5000 crew, 100 aircraft)
2 x Aegis Cruise
2 x Arleigh Burke
2 x Spruance
3 x OH Perry
1 x LA
2 x Oiler, supply etc etc...

I think it matches quite evenly, but say it's against a 3rd world
country, which config prevails?

regards,
jokoch