Old July 15th 03, 08:33 PM
Tina Marie

Default Fairing question...

(I've got a certified airplane, so I hope you guys won't run me out
of here on a rail, but...)

I need to replace some of my fairings on my Tripacer. They're all simple,
mostly flat aluminum, some with one or two bends in them. I can form
them (I bought my SO a metal bender/shear/break for Christmas. He never
uses it, but I just love it) without too much trouble.

Here's my problem. After I make 'em, I have to attach them to the plane.
And this nearly always requires making holes in them - and no matter
what I do, the holes in the new fairing never line up with the holes on
the airframe. I don't know how to mark where to drill - if I hold it
up to the airframe, the airframe holes are behind the fairing and I can't
see them. Measuring works sometimes, but then I end up off by 1/16, and
it gets worse by the time I get all of them done.

There's got to be a magic trick to making the holes the right size, in
the right place, and I figured I'd be most likely to find it here.

Thanks!

Tina Marie
--
Life is like an analogy. http://www.tripacerdriver.com