Old August 19th 17, 02:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
firsys

Default What canopy adhesive to use?

On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 1:04:16 PM UTC-4, LongJourney wrote:
I've done a search in both RAS and on the web but I'm not finding the information I'm looking for. I'm restoring a 1963 S Austria and one of the previous owners used what I think is Sikaflex to bond the canopy glass to the metal canopy frame. It's now separating badly. What should I use to bond the plexiglass to the frame? And should I prime the metal frame and then scuff it where the glass will be bonded, or leave it bare until after the glass is glued on?

Thanks for your help,

Jeff

Do not use screws; they make for stress concentration and crack development..
I installed anew Kestrel 19 canopy using
RTV silcone preceeded by a primer; this gives a slightly flexible bond which alleviates stress concentration.

JMF

35 yrs later the Kestrel is still flying.