Old August 17th 03, 04:57 AM
Ron Wanttaja

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 02:57:45 GMT, "Paul Mennen" wrote:

I can understand why pressurized aircraft need static ports,
but why do unpressurized airplanes have them? I wouldn't think
the pressure difference between the inside and the outside of
the airplane wouldn't differ by that much. (When I open the alternate
static port in my C185, the altimeter changes by just a couple
of feet.)

I was once goofing around in my airplane, and disconnected the static line
so the static source was the cockpit. When I did the runup, the altimeter
acted just like a tachometer...indication when up when I pushed the
throttle forward, and then back when I pulled it back.

Needless to say, I taxied back.

Ron Wanttaja