Old November 27th 20, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Mocho

Default New Battery Type?

I've rewired and/or replumbed my panel three or four times over the years as new equipment is added and old things are removed. Upgrading flight computers, displays, radios, transponders and the like have greatly enhanced the cockpit environment. One thing I have found invaluable is John DeRosa's series of helpful tips on glider maintenance. (http://aviation.derosaweb.net/presentations/) The "Aviation Electrical Best Practices" presentation shows the "right" way to go about wiring a cockpit. If you have any electrical skills, whether in industrial or home wiring, you will find the particular requirements for aviation are different. This guide steers you in the right direction. Thanks to "OHM" for these guides.

As to "rewire the rat's nest": I have never purchased a "new" glider, only a "used" one. In every case, there have been tubing and wiring issues and in each case I undertook to re-wire and re-tube everything I could get at. In every case, I have discovered something that was at least puzzling if not down-right scary. You don't have to be a wizard to discover problems and correct them. Just take it one thing at a time, get everything neat, and you will have a lot more fun come spring than if you don't.