Old May 18th 04, 04:37 AM
Kevin Brooks

"Drewe Manton" wrote in message
"Kevin Brooks" wrote in news:FbidnTOlj-
:

Does crow taste better roasted, or fried?

Did you miss the bit about Patriot rules of engagement being
"insufficently robust"? Seems to me that calling for meals of crow is in
bad taste all around here. . . . it was a tragedy, it was war, the two go
hand in hand.

The Patriot had its share of troubles, no doubt. But immediately after it
was announced that the Tornado had gone down, some folks took a "it's the
Patriot, stupid" stance as to assigning the guilt in this case, despite an
early mention of the suspicion that all may have not been right regarding
the aircraft's IFF. Now the chickens have come home to roost. And since you
are so keyed up in still trying to point the fickle finger of fate at the
Patriot in this case, did you miss the part that said: "The investigation
board determined that the Patriot crew fired in perceived self-defense in
accordance with existing procedures and Rules of Engagement"? Yeah, it was a
tragedy--the ROE doubtless contributed to it, too. But those ROE would never
have been invoked had the aircraft had a functional IFF transmitting the
proper code. Curiousity compels me to ask--were you one of the guys claiming
it was just another case of trigger-happy Patriot engagement after it went
down?

Brooks

--
Regards