Old July 2nd 03, 11:59 PM
Bruce A. Frank

Del,

Was the rod you used copper plated? Did you remove it, the copper,
before using the rod? (polish it with Scotch Brite) I ask because almost
everyone with whom I have spoken finds the -6 produces a nicer bead and
much quieter molten puddle (than -2) when TIG welding (fewer sparks
flying contaminating the tungsten).

--
Bruce A. Frank

Del Rawlins wrote:
On 01 Jul 2003 05:35 PM, funnyman posted the following:

I would stick to ER70S-2, ER70S-6, or ER80D-2. I use ER70S-2 all the
time and I like the way it flows better than ER70S-6.

I tried some ER70S-6 for the first time last week (TIG welding) on my
toe brake pedals and that was my experience as well. It works fine, but
the S-2 seems to leave a nicer bead. The S-6 tended to come out looking
a little like a MIG bead which makes sense because the S-6 alloy is
normally used for MIG wire. I'm perfectly happy with the performance of
either alloy and once I exhaust my supply of S-2 I will burn up the S-6
I just bought before I buy any more rod.

Del Rawlins-
Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email.
Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:
http://www.rawlinsbrothers.org/bhfaq/