Old April 9th 21, 05:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Default Transition from iOS to Windows PC

There are several ways to run Windoz on you Mac. VMWare, Parallels, free ones as mentioned above and virtualization programs which essentially run the Windoz OS as a protected application on top of the host OS just as any application would run. Boot Camp turns your Mac into a Windoz machine and I would not do that (also, you have to reboot to switch). Running it in a virtual machine on the other hand, is convenient and safe, as the host operating system (OSX) is protected from virtually any consequence. I have run VMWare for decades, and run instances of XP3, W7, and W10, sometimes simultaneously. It works well for all but the most intensive gaming type apps. More than adequate for Clear Nav (which I also run). For Clear Nav, I would run W7 rather than W10, the latter is quite the memory pig and has an annoying habit of downloading gigabytes of updates very frequently, and this propensity is nearly impossible to shut off. In VMWare you can simply not give it access to the network which solves the problem for most conditions.

On Friday, April 9, 2021 at 7:57:07 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I would no sooner put Windows on my Mac than I would have a hooker sleep in my bed. Buy a cheap PC (i.e., any PC) buy a VERY good anti-virus software for the PC. It also pays to buy a
PC with a SSD. Some of those may have been inside words, but...
On Thursday, April 8, 2021 at 11:10:17 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
Probably talking the same thing but, during my very short time with an
iMac, while switching it to Linux I learned of something caled "Boot
Camp" which is a way of creating a Windows system on your Mac. It will
still run Apple software, too.

Dan
5J
On 4/8/21 9:23 AM, MMOORE wrote:
On Thursday, April 8, 2021 at 11:19:09 AM UTC-4, Phoenix wrote:
I will be having a ClearNav2 installed soon and will need to purchase a PC for utilizing this system. I'm an Apple guy at present. What do you recommend for an inexpensive PC to be used solely for the CN2? Alternately, is there an option for using a MacBook Air with the CN2?

Run windows as a VM on your Mac - https://www.virtualbox.org/
W10 ISO - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...d/windows10ISO