Old November 16th 09, 02:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default VOR Alpha into KMBO Approach with plate overlays and ATC COMS -Video

On Nov 15, 8:11*pm, Mike Adams wrote:

Yes, they said maintain 340, vectors for the approach, but they didn't say cleared, or practice approach
approved, so you shouldn't have turned inbound. Did you have a safety pilot on board, or were you just
doing this on your own? As a safety pilot, I would have spoken up *if I caught the error.

Thanks for this feedback Mike,

No safety, focus was to video this approach with focus on how I run my
ship doing approaches (I will be uploading tomorrow) and keep my eyes
outside.

KJAN never uses the word practice in all my experiences with them. I
think, like you, it may have been a trainee but her phraseology was
typical of any other approach controller. Just plain dropped the ball
on my part hearing the word "vectors for the approach" as "cleared for
the approach" and I shouldn't have turned inbound.

Turning me toward the final approach course (340 heading) may have
been the seed making me think I was cleared for the approach. Dunno
for sure.

I'm not sure, but I think in a practice approach environment, you're not necessarily approved for the
published missed. I think you have to just go with their instructions in that case.

Thanks for posting the AIM. Interestingly enough, I didn't realize
there was a distinct difference between climbout and missed until this
incident! I had assumed absent of doing the published missed,
climbout instructions would be missed instructions.

(All in all, a fairly mild chewing out. He didn't even give you a phone number to call, and just asked what
you wanted to do next. Everybody is so laid back in your neck of the woods. Must be that southern
hospitality!)

I believe you are right on that southern hospitality part :-)

Needless to say, got back in the saddle today and did an IFR XC from
KMBO to KMEI and didn't munge any instructions today.