Old November 12th 03, 11:10 PM
Ogden Johnson III

"Harriet and John" wrote:

't going to work. I was in about five or six aviation commands and I never
heard of the Squadron Logs being treated with the sanctity or gravity the
Ships Logs I used to have to sign each month when I drove the gray things
around.

So two requests....anybody out there a P4M-1Q driver who's not on our list
(you'd know if you were) and any suggestions (BuPers?) as to where I can
find two almost 50 year of Squadron logs? Thanks in advance!

Can't speak to anything earlier, although from the NAVMC form
[actually a rather large, bound, thick, booklet] used for the Squadron
Master Flight Log I suspect that log dated from WWII at least.

We maintained a Squadron Master Flight Log for every squadron I served
in from 196mumble to the time I retired. Handwritten, and ghods help
you if you did not write large, legibly, and mistake-less in black ink
because the Gunny would have your ass*. Three or six months
[disremember at this late date] after the end of the fiscal year and
after all squadron and pilot annual reports [supported in any way by
the SMFL] had been submitted and accepted, the log was mailed, in
accordance with OPNAVINST umpty-fratz, directly to the National
Archives by the squadron.

[* - after which, he'd make you redo the entire Squadron Master Flight
Log. Not a big problem if you screwed up in the first month of the
fiscal year. *Huge* problem in the last month of the fiscal year.
;-]

You know the years of interest. Your next stop [de-de de-de de-de
de-de], the National Archives web site.
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo addy is burned before reading.