Old August 26th 03, 10:27 AM
Hilton Software

JerryK wrote:
I agree this is probably not the right place. But I was curious if you

have
been running any of the profilers like .Net Memory Profiler or Application
profiler against your app. I have done this wit several apps and was
suprised about lingering references.

You probably know this, but... The Garbage Collector (GC) in languages like
C# and Java are optimized to spend as little time as possible freeing
objects. One such optimization is to not free an object unless the memory
it occupies is required; i.e. why spend time freeing 10K worth of objects if
you have 500M free? Therefore, it's almost safe to say that in a VM you
will have unreferenced objects. That is not a leak, the GC will reclaim
that memory if/when if needs to.

FYI: I read the Compact Framework newsgroups everyday and I don't believe I
have seen any leaks as a result of the Microsoft Virtual Machine. As you
mention, memory can be leaked inside a badly written app. WingX is 100%
pure C#, and we are quite confident about its 'long-term' behavior.

Thanks,

Support Team
Hilton Software LLC
Makers of WingX Aviation Software