Old December 27th 05, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Garmin 430 user waypoints

I think the gentlemen that started this thread doesn't quite understand
how and why IFR units have their limitations.

Never heard about "used aircrafts"? Here, in Europe, we choose the best
we can buy, sometimes the avionics are not exactly what we like/need. I
perfectly know 430 is bqasically an IFR unit, but while IT IS
TECHNICALLY POSSIBLE to upload waypoints via one of the serial ports, I
don't ask Garmin or Jeppesen to do that, but I simply would like to know
how can I do the trick.

I can cut-and-paste user waypoints from "wherever" to my *VFR* Garmin
296 via MapSource and a USB cable.

As you can read in the original message, I currently do exactly that,
but I simply don't like to have an useless 8K$ unit in my panel,
expecially considering it could be a perfect VFR too unit, with a littel
help from Garmin (or rsomeone that already hacked the protocol).