Old August 16th 08, 12:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Vaughn Simon

Default Adjustable Prop for a Cessna 150

"Mark Hansen" wrote in message

If you reduce the weight of the prop, won't that move your CG aft?
Requiring less weight in the tail (actually, anywhere behind the CG) to
support the same flight envelope?

(Let's see, how can I gracefully get out of this one...OK, I know...)
Brain fart! Yes, you are 100% correct.

We would need to saw off tail structure to fix the CG. (just kidding)
Worst case, you would need to add weight as far forward as possible, and that
added weight would have to be MORE than the weight that you saved by swapping
the prop because it would necessarily need to be mounted closer to the CG than
where the weight came off (the prop).

Just to add a bit of noise to the discussion, an airplane operating at
maximum allowed aft CG is actually more aerodynamically efficient. Sailplane
pilots often add tail ballast for just this reason.

--
Vaughn

Nothing personal, but if you are posting through Google Groups I may not receive
your message. Google refuses to control the flood of spam messages originating
in their system, so on any given day I may or may not have Google blocked. Try
a real NNTP server & news reader program and you will never go back. All you
need is access to an NNTP server (AKA "news server") and a news reader program.
You probably already have a news reader program in your computer (Hint: Outlook
Express). Assuming that your Usenet needs are modest, use
http://news.aioe.org/ for free and/or http://www.teranews.com/ for a one-time
$3.95 setup fee.

Will poofread for food.