Old February 29th 04, 01:04 PM
Dave

(smackey) wrote in message om...
1. My aero radio people tell me that they think the GTX 330 display
is always up on the map. I.e., I can't declutter or eliminate it if I
want to, say while flying an instrument approach and not really
needing/wanting the mode-s traffic info on the screen. True?

They're wrong. You can configure the traffic pages a number of ways.
Or you can switch the mode-S from OPER to STBY to turn it all off.

2. I assume that the traffic warning in the mode-s will not alert to
traffic if I'm not in a mode-s area, and/or there are aircraft only
only squaking mode-c or other. In other words, if I'm fling along out
in the hinterlands (a frequent occurance) where there is no mode-s,
the traffic warning is nonexistent!! Wouldn't I do just as well with
a portable Monroy, or similar, traffic alerter?

As posted here, that's a product of the FAA's TIS services. More
range would be nicer, but it's most handy in denser traffic areas.