Old November 15th 04, 04:39 PM
Lennie the Lurker

(Jason D.) wrote in message ...

Anyway back to the attention on this odd compressor.

Having had a series of "converted" refrigeration compressors used for
air compressors, a few comments.

The first, they're all small capaciity unless you have one of the
heavy duty "industrial strength" units. It is possible that you could
rebuild it, but more than likely, the piston is worn, and you might
have to grind it down, then have it plated, reground, and then you can
look at other things. The wrist pin, I think that's what you were
referring to, might have to have the same treatment, as well as trying
to bush the pin bores in the piston. It's all possible, but expensive
and/or time consuming.

I have one of the oilless compressors, and find it the most irritating
little prick anyone could ask for. It has been replaced, but with
components I found in the scrapyard. A few months ago, I found a
Sears compressor, complete, but complete with holes in the bottom of
the tank. Meaning rusted through, useless and also dangerous. The
tank went back to the scrap, but anything that could come off, did. A
couple of months later, someone came in with an industrial size tank,
the compressor gone, and plastic dripping out of the ends of the
motor. "Presto-chango", and I now have a 60 gallon compressor. It
takes the sears compressor about ten minutes to build up the 100
pounds, but I have the "kick-in" set to 80 pounds, not a problem since
my air lines are regulated to 60 pounds. It runs for the ten minutes
maybe twice a week, but I have a steady supply of air, and a lot less
noise that the oilless "rapper" that I hate.

Jim, until you've tried to find the treadle and lower pulley for an
1890's WF&John Barnes lathe, you haven't discovered what hard to find
is. (I'm still looking.)